Activities with Other Organizations
Terms of Committees with Other Societies
Many of the committees with other societies have terms specified by the calendar year. Unless otherwise specified, an
annual cycle for a committee runs throughout calendar years (January to December).
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
The application of the IMS for admission to the AAAS as an affiliated society was approved in December 1940. The IMS
is associated with Sections A (Mathematics) and U (Statistics).
American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- Joint Committee on Women in the Mathematical Sciences
The Committee on Women in the Mathematical Sciences has members appointed from the AMS, ASA, IMS, NCTM
and SIAM. The committee has always been run by the AMS, and committee meetings are held once a year in the fall,
usually in Chicago.
- Committee on Data on the Profession Committee
The committee consists of five members appointed by the AMS, three by the MAA and one by the ASA. The
IMS participates in this activity but does not appoint a representative. The AMS Associate Executive Director for
Meetings and Professional Services, serves as an ex-officio member. The MAA and ASA contribute $3,500 annually
for each representative on the committee. Out of these funds, the AMS covers the travel expenses of the other
societies' committee members, applying the remainder of funds toward the direct costs of the survey. The IMS
contributes $2,500 annually toward the survey effort only. Currently, the survey costs exceed $100,000 a year.
- Joint Summer Research Conferences
American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Current Index to Statistics
CIS is owned and managed by the IMS. The IMS has final authority and responsibility for all operational activities
associated with the CIS, including managing staff, contracts, subscription rates, and expenses. Unless otherwise
specified in this agreement, the CIS operational decisions of the IMS do not require review or approval by the ASA.
The CIS Management Committee will continue to consist of five members, two appointed by the ASA, two appointed
by the IMS and one jointly-appointed chair. The chair shall be a member of both societies. As far as possible
the terms of the members on the committee shall be on a staggered basis to provide continuity. The term of
appointment shall be for three years, except that the initial terms may be set for longer periods to provide for
rotation. No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms on the committee. Terms are on a calendar year
basis, but a member may continue until the successor is appointed.
The Management Committee's charge is to review and recommend changes to editorial policies and procedures for
the CIS, select editors, and approve the appointment of Associate Editors. Actions of the Management Committee
are subject to review by the several governing boards of the partner societies.
- Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics
Co-published by the American Statistical Association (ASA), the Interface Foundation (IFNA) and the IMS. The ASA
is designated as the managing JCGS partner, with IMS and IFNA providing input/influence regarding the journal's
scientific content and direction. The JCGS Management Committee consists of six members, two approved by
ASA, two appointed by IMS and two appointed by IFNA, with the chair alternating among the three societies. The
chair shall be a member of all societies, whenever possible. Insofar as possible the terms of the members on the
committee shall be on a staggered basis to provide continuity. The term of appointment shall be for three years,
except that the initial terms may be set for a longer period to provide for rotation. No member shall serve more than
two consecutive terms on the committee. Terms are on a calendar year basis, but a member may continue until the
successor is appointed.
The charge of the Management Committee will be to review and recommend changes to editorial policies
and procedures for the JCGS, select editors, and approve the appointment of Associate Editors. Actions of the
Management Committee are subject to review by the several governing boards of the partner societies.
- Invited IMS Representative to ASA Committee on Meetings (COM)
COM includes representatives from each partner society. COM representatives have three-year terms. Terms end on
December 31. The IMS representative to COM is the IMS Executive Secretary.
- Spring Research Conference on Statistics
This annual conference is jointly sponsored by the IMS and the Section of Physical Sciences and Engineering Section
(SPES) of ASA. The conference is overseen by a management committee that has three representatives from the IMS
on three-year rotating terms.
- Joint Bernoulli Society–IMS Management Committee for joint publications
This committee oversees the appointment of editors to any jointly co-sponsored publications. The Committee
consists of four people on four-year rotating terms. Terms begin on January 1, and end on December 31. Two of
the members are appointed by the BS and two by the IMS. The most senior person on the Committee serves as the
- Joint Special Lectures: See Meetings Section
Cambridge University Press (CUP)
The IMS co-publishes two book series with CUP – IMS Textbooks and IMS Monographs. The following guidelines
regarding internal governing of the series were approved by the IMS Council in December 2009
- There will be a coordinating editor and three area editors, one for each of the areas of
b. Probability and
- The terms of the editors will be for four years with the possibility for a second term—- but not more.
- The four editors of the CUP/IMS Textbook and Monograph series will be nominated by the Committee to Select
Editors. These nominations are then voted on for approval by the IMS Council.
- The CUP/IMS editors may appoint associate editors as they feel are needed. These appointments do not require
Council approval and they terminate with the term of the appointing editor.
- The CUP/IMS Editors are not ex-Officio members of the IMS Council, but may serve as elected members of
the IMS Council.
Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies (COPSS)
The President, President-Elect and Past President of the IMS all serve on the COPSS Board.
Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences (CBMS)
The IMS President and an appointed representative may attend CBMS meetings.
National Institute of Statistical Sciences (NISS)
The IMS President is an ex-officio member of the corporation of NISS. Every three years, the IMS President appoints a
person who serves simultaneously as Appointed Member and Appointed Trustee for a three-year term beginning in July
of the coming year (coordinating with the NISS July–June fiscal year).
Springer Statistics Encyclopedia
The IMS is one of several co-sponsors of an online encyclopedia of statistics published by Springer.
The following guidelines were adopted by the IMS Council in December 2009 and will be used regarding the
Representative to the Springer encyclopedia.
- The representative to the Encyclopedia will have the title "IMS Representative to the [waiting for the official
- The representative will be nominated by the Committee to Select Editors. These nominations are then voted on
for approval by the IMS council.
- The representative will not be an ex-officio member of the publication committee or the electronic issues
- The representative will serve a term of three years with the possibility of at most one reappointment.
- The representative will not be an ex-officio member of Council but may be elected to serve on the IMS Council.
- The representative shall provide an annual report to Council on the activities of the on-line encyclopedia.
- After every three years the Representative and the Executive Committee shall review the role of the IMS in
the on-line Encyclopedia project and make a motion for Council's vote to continue or to discontinue
the IMS participation.